Tuesday 1 May 2007

SQL bakcup - a can of worms!

It seems that the SQL Backup market place is far busier and competitive than I had imagined, no sooner had I arrived in the office this morning than a nice person from Quest Software, makers of Lite Speed, finally caught up with me and set me right on the technology and the price. It seems they have a very interesting suite of SQL server products all of which make the standard Microsoft tools easier to use and in some cases adding functionality, the version I had seen yesterday happened to be the developer version at $45, a full version for our setup being £700 - a bit of a jump. In the end I spoke to 3 people there and came away with a whole heap of good advice and technical background to the product.

No sooner had I finished on the phone than I had a very pleasant representative from Red-Gate, makers of SQL Backup, on the phone wanting to discuss my recent blog post (Gulp!). Actually it turns out that instead of wanting to sue me for mentioning their software on my rather random blog he wanted to give me a full pitch for the product and was very happy to offer a cheeky discount, a good deal on support and some very good advice about which product was right for us. It also turns out that I was already out of date as version 5 had come out over night and I am just in the process of kicking that around. The benchmark looks about the same, maybe a slight improvement in performance, but it has a rather nifty new GUI which plots your backup activity on a time line graphic so you can visually see whether your backup schedules are in danger of overlapping and going into a shame spiral. (Cue - dip into Google images for shame spiral and discovering a picture which is also fitting for the genius which is the time line GUI).

My next step was to download a trial of HyperBac to evaluate their approach which shuns the extended stored procedures of the other products in favour of a totally stand alone setup for SQL backup. This in turn invited another phone conversation as I actually gave my real phone number when downloading :o) It seems the nice people who created HyperBac where originally involved with creating Lite Speed and they decided to create a new company with a new approach a while ago. Again their sales dude was a wealth of information about the strengths and weaknesses of the various approaches taken and was very helpful indeed. The cost for our setup was $499 irrespective of the number of processors we wanted to throw at it and as such it sits directly between the other 2 products. Having played with the system it performs well but I would say that both Xceleon and Quest will be interested to have a good squint at SQL Backup version 5 as they are both slightly quicker but overall I think Red-Gate have it.

I have set our demo rig up for hourly backups overnight so I will be interested to see what is waiting for me by the time I get in tomorrow morning! Hopefully a useful archive of backups which all restore perfectly.... we'll see :o)

No comments:

A view from the rack is the personal blog of an IT manager who works for a pub company - hence beer